The Salmon River Home
Location - Government Camp, Oregon at 3,300' elevation on Mount Hood
Square footage -
Total - 2,592 square feet
Main - 1,344 square feet
Second - 1,056 square feet
Loft - 192 square feet
Description - The main floor of the Salmon River Residence is in the shape of a T. The top of the T is 34' across and 24' down and contains the main entry, stairway, bath, airlock rear entry with laundry, guest bedroom and kitchen. The leg of the T is 22' wide and 24' tall and contains the great room and dining area. There are 8' x 24' porches on either side of the leg of the T. Though the main floor of the house is a T, the second floor and roof treat the house as a 34' x 48' rectangle. This allows for a 9' loft on either side of the great room. The second floor is occupied by the master bedroom, bath and child's bedroom. Above these rooms is an open sleeping loft that is 12' x 16'.
Key features -
1. Very open great room with vaulted ceiling, 30' to the top of the ridgepole.
2. Log truss, log rafter and double ridgepole roof system.
3. Arched top window in the south wall that is set up to allow for settling (this is rarely done in log homes)
4. Master bedroom with sleeping area over the rear porch and a separate sitting area for privacy.
5. Designed for the high elevation, snow and cold weather.
6. High degree of finish
7. Rock Maple cabinets
8. Red Oak plank floors
9. Pine wainscoting
10. Solid Western Red cedar trim, doors and windows